Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I bet i can make you laugh

So here we go! We have officially been introduced to our short movie project. I have been assigned to a group that consists of four other people. Our project must be somewhere between three to five minutes long. We have also been assigned to do the genre "Comedy". I have offered to be the camera man for the film, which does not mean that i only do the camera but i also get to do acting and contribute to many other factors.

Personally i think comedy may be the hardest genre to pull off successfully. Suspense, romance, action, those are all easy to do with the right story. Comedy just feels different. Not everyone enjoys every comedy out there. I love Dumb and Dumber. I love any movie by Will Ferrell. but other people don't. I feel like these other people are in our class too.

When ideas were being thrown around the group, i unfortunately was outside playing with the camera. So now i am going to brainstorm on here, and hopefully some of my ideas can still be considered :). I think comedy and i think of stupid stuff. Seth Rogen is the first name that i think of. Followed by adam sandler. will ferrell also makes that list. I think that people who enjoy comedy are intereseted in vulgar and stupid scenes. For a major plot line, I think that we will have to do something towards a romantic comedy. As much as i don't know if that is something that i want to lean towards, i think it may be the only thing completely attainable. I think that the people that we have, 3 girls and 2 guys, the two guys have to act like fools for most of the movie, and the girls have to be completely out of the reach of the guys. I don't know how easy this will be, probably not easy at all. With comedy, its really easy to do things that aren't funny. Looking at different movies outtakes, improvisation is the biggest factor in making a movie hilarious. It will be hard to write a script that is funny.

Improvisation. I think it makes any movie great. The funniest actors don't just act funny, they have to be funny people outside of the movie screen. With our group we will have to improvisate (is that the word?) -do improvisation- a lot. It will come together eventually, and it will be either hilarious to everyone, hilarious to only our group, or embarrassing to watch.

In the end, i just want people to laugh at our movie while we still implement as many of the techniques we have learned in class over the past couple weeks. I think we have got this in the bag.

2 comments:

  1. You'll have a lot of things to think about. Comedy is really hard. Timing is everything. Overplanning and overthinking can be death, but too little planning and thought and it's just befuddling. Sounds like you're on your way to tackling those issues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can do it!
    I think we have an excellent group.
    Sam is way too funny for our movie to suck.
    I am really excited.

    ReplyDelete